The ASIFA-East Animation Festival
Debuting in 1969, the ASIFA-East Animation Festival is one of the longest running festivals of its kind. The festival is a unique showcase for the most groundbreaking independent and commercial animation being produced in the industry today. Every year, entries are submitted and judged during jury screenings by the members of our organization. The votes are tallied and announced at an awards ceremony in the Spring. The exciting evening continues with a lively reception, where award winners, members of the industry, and lovers of animation can meet one another, enjoy a few refreshments, and network.
Deadlines and Submission
Submissions Open: December 2022.
Submit by January 31st, 2023 to save on festival fees!
Final Deadline is February 20th, 2023.
Attention Members: check your email inboxes for an exclusive discount code!
JOIN OR RENEW YOUR MEMBERSHIP HERE to be eligible to vote on films!
Judging and Awards
The ASIFA-East Animation Festival is now open for entries!
There are categories of Independent Film, Commissioned Work, Student Film, Experimental Film and Music Videos, with first through 3rd prizes. (In some circumstances, including overall quantity and/or quality of submissions, “tie” awards and/or greater or fewer prizes may be issued.) There are Craft awards for Writing, Animation, Soundtrack, and Design (with one prize in each). Our “Best in Show” (highest rated) winner receives the coveted Peggy award statuette (Student Films not eligible). The final decision for all awards will be made by the Festival Committee, based on the results of judging by the membership of ASIFA-EAST.
The ASIFA-East Animation Festival holds jury screenings for our judges (the ASIFA-East members) and a presentation of the winning films. There will be virtual jury screenings for the public (stay tooned for news about in-person screenings for our members!). Digital ballots will be provided for all, and paper ballots provided as an option for in-person screenings. The votes are tallied and announced at an awards ceremony in the Spring.
Rules and Terms
ELIGIBILITY: Film must have been produced after July 1, 2021, and must be received no later than Feb. 20th 2023, accompanied by a completed entry form and all entry fees. Film must not have been entered in previous ASIFA-East festivals. Films must be received by the deadline to be considered. At this time, we are only accepting entries from North America, as we are a regional festival.
FORMAT: Please provide a link to the downloadable video. Videos must use the H.264 codec and follow the compression guidelines at Vimeo Help . We have a 1GB file size cap per entry [file size can exceed limit if film is over 10 minutes, on a case by case basis]. Entries that do not follow these guidelines will be disqualified. Please Email us if you need advice.
Please Be Advised
- We are only accepting entries from North America.
- Films longer than 22 minutes will be asked to provide an excerpt 5-10 minutes.
- Student Film Submissions: Due to the high volume of student films, we advise schools submitting on behalf of their students to limit their entries to their best, brightest and finished, and suggest capping it at 10 films per department. This will allow for collegiate diversity in the student film category. This year, during our FilmFreeway trial run, the Student Film category may be capped out at a maximum program screening duration, and submissions accepted on a first-come-first-serve basis (if this happens, rules and members will be updated) Thank you!
- Categories may be merged if turnout is too low for a separate program (for example: Music Video submissions may be asked to re-classify as another category for competition)
- Women In Animation will present a special award for your consideration (stay tooned).
- VIRTUAL SCREENINGS: As New York City is reopening under new rules for screening venues, stay tooned for any information about future in-person screenings.
RIGHTS: Work(s) submitted to, and selected for, the ASIFA East Animation Festival is/are intended for public exhibition by ASIFA at the ASIFA East Animation Festival, including its juried screenings and awards ceremony, and/or partner ASIFA National Groups strictly in the context of not-for-profit, ASIFA-curated events intended primarily for active ASIFA members and at which no admission shall be charged, income realized, consideration provided, or attribution provided beyond that which appears in the Work(s). Screening lists may be published. ASIFA East warrants that it shall not otherwise exhibit, sell, or distribute any submitted Work(s) without express written agreement with the rights-holder. By submitting Work(s) to the ASIFA East Animation festival you permit and warrant that you are fully authorized to permit such exhibition of the Work(s) as provided above. ASIFA East will not be responsible for infringements of rights of entries accepted for screening by the jury.