SCHOOL OF ART AND DESIGN
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR – 3D ANIMATION AND MOTION ARTS
The Department of Digital Arts in the School of Art and Design at Pratt Institute invites applications for a full-time tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant Professor rank to begin Fall 2014. The department, which has been educating digital artists for over 25 years, offers BFA and MFA degrees in 3D Animation and Motion Arts, 2D Animation, Interactive Arts and Digital Imaging. Located in a new, LEED “Gold” certified green building on Pratt’s historic 25-acre campus in the culturally diverse neighborhood of Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, the Department seeks to attract an active , culturally and academically diverse faculty and student body. We are committed to the education and support of artists and professionals and place concept first while demanding technical excellence in execution.
The successful candidate will be an experienced educator in 3D animation and related media, and a practicing artist with an active exhibit/screening record. We seek applicants who engage in the critical discourse on digital media and have a comprehensive understanding of the role of digital technologies in contemporary art practice and the animation industry.
- Teach a range of 3D Animation courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Participate in curriculum development.
- Advise/mentor students.
- Contribute to developing a strong culture of digital arts research and practice in the department.
- Maintain substantial creative accomplishments in digital arts.
- Exhibit and/or screen work and participate in professional symposia.
- Develop relationships and new initiatives with external partners in Brooklyn and New York.
- Maintain a solid and consistent record of professional productivity (i.e., exhibitions, publications, performances, etc.).
- Participate in committee work and other service to the department, School and Institute.
- Perform all other related activities as required.
We require an MFA in 3D Animation or a related field and three to five years’ college level teaching experience. Strong candidates will have expertise in as many of the following fields as possible: 3D Modeling, 3D Animation, Storytelling and Narrative Development, Rigging, Lighting and Rendering, Character Design, and Motion Dynamics; and will be conversant in the history of animation and critical theory. Knowledge of Python and Render Farms is preferred. A strong record of professional accomplishment, as demonstrated through portfolio/reel, and an active record of exhibitions, screenings of personal animations, and production are essential.
SALARY is commensurate with education, credentials and experience.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please submit: a letter of interest; a Curriculum Vitae that includes courses taught; an artist statement as well as a statement of your teaching philosophy; and the names and contact information for three professional references via our online applicant system at http://tinyurl.com/klhm9z9
Please also submit a professional portfolio/reel of recent creative work and student work with 20 examples via Slideroom at http://prattjobs.slideroom.com
PRATT INSTITUTE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND RECOGNIZES AND VALUES THE BENEFITS OF A DIVERSE WORKFORCE.